Tuesday, November 3, 2009

People are Really Uptight

It's been a while since I've blogged and I think it's because I have been waiting for something poignant to strike me.  Ouch!  Yesterday it happened.

I was at, perhaps, one of the most painful bookclub meetings ever.  The pinched up faces.  Dry-clean white starched blouses.  Stiff, forced and tight conversation.  Fortunately, I was able to sit between two of my good friends and we were able to chit-chat about anything but the book, which I didn't manage to read.  I'm sure you're wondering why I even went to the meeting.  Well, so am I.  I've decided all of the excuses I've made (it'll be good to make friends with similar interests (books), who live in the community (potential playmates for the kids...) are just that, excuses.  Officially, for the second time, I have resigned my position of required reading with women in my age group.

So we were talking about Halloween, Facebook and teenage party dilemmas when my GOOD friend told me what she and a group of gals did the other night.  Ready?  They went on a searching-for-sex website, created an account and searched by geography to see if they knew anyone on the site.  I had to keep all of my experience with this world to myself, of course.  Which I've become a pro at.  "Do they pay for sex?" "Do they show (instead of PROFILE or POST) photos?"

Is anyone else disturbed by this?  I'm trying to define the problem, but maybe I don't understand it.  On the outside, my friend is everything you would want in a friend -- she's smart, funny, silly, will go out with a half-hour notice.  Her husband is good looking, a good conversationalist, and seems to really like his wife.  I think this because I have seen them out together.  She's so bored and maybe even filled with contempt, that she wants to catch her "friends" being naughty.  For what purpose?  Gossip?  Judgement?  I don't get it.

So, I took my pics down until I can shoot some more that are less defining.

2 comments:

  1. I look a 'nilla SAHMs and related species with contempt. A subset of these women are afforded great latitude with someone else's money and take to "causes" like a fat kid takes to cake.

    They are the ones redacting classics in your library. They loaf about having tea while stressing their spandex and complaining that they "...could never lose the weight from [her] third." And they are afflicted with holier-than-though syndrom (HTTS).

    Nothing gets them like a tawdry story to gossip about and what better way to generate them than to copy license plates at the beer and adult video stores, spy on the divorcees in their neighborhoods or go online and snoop for their friends!

    I am concerned but not for what they might find in one of their quests. No, I'm concerned for the future of America. The children they are raising simply cannot turn out normal with shit like that going on.

    :) D (aka Mr. NB, ala LL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi, I think it's a good balance that you have friends like that. Everyone deals with sex differently, and just as they're quick to want to label you a slutty savant for your views on sex, you (or my neighbor above ^^) might be quick to call them prudes and destroyers of America's future/children.

    Sure, they're close minded, but that's just how this world is: their close-mindedness balancing out your open-mindedness.

    I can't remember where I read this, but the hypothesis (and excuse my liberal paraphrasing) is that the most radical (and ultimate) act of sex is the disappearance of sex. Perhaps we'll all meet your friends somewhere down the road.

    Hardasses

    ReplyDelete