Monday, October 5, 2009

Give & Receive

I've earned the right to post that I get it:  we give all day.  Even if no one's home to see it, we're giving something to someone.  I'll even go so far as to say the tennis clinic today was really for my husband's benefit.  Who wouldn't want his wife to wear a tiny-tiny little skirt around town all day and know how to hit a slice serve?  I know this is "stretching it" but us suburban housewives have to be dynamic.  I'm not trying to "Stepford-ize" myself or any of my friends, but let's face it, there needs to be more to staying home than making a great roast.  

My friends who "get it" (I don't mean sex) have a very healthy perspective on "me time."  I have to include myself in my priorities.  If I neglect my needs, I can't function at or even near capacity for those who count on me the most.  

So, beyond the tennis clinics & lattes, what's the best way to acknowledge the value you provide to your household?  Receive.  Become a receiver.  I am new to this method, as well.  As I lay in bed this morning, I let Jake take care of my needs.  I tried to reciprocate, but he just smiled and told me to enjoy the moment.  So what if the kids are 10 minutes late for school.  Is that really the end of the world?  Would it kill anyone to have a pre-packaged granola bar for snack-time instead of cut up cheese & vegetables?  Definitely not.  So, this morning, I chose myself as the priority.  And it felt good.  So so so so good.

I'll give as well.  I've been shopping for sexy lingerie to wear to a tantra party this weekend.  It's never too late to learn new skills......


2 comments:

  1. Jake is da man! Totally got the dynamics down, in the right way. Kudos to you as well, Mimi, to break out the routine and say, "screw it, world won't come tumbling down if snack-time is not done right for once." Sometimes that's what you need to be refreshed.

    Bummed that you guys aren't making it to the Oakland Hills party. Perhaps next time. Cheers! HARDASSES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for all of your contagious positive-ness! Will definitely exchange ideas(?) or more, in person .....

    ReplyDelete